In Meiji 8 (1875), our founder Katsuyoshi Kondo began a sake brewing business named "Tanaka-ya" in Oma Town, Gunma, and devoted himself to using the underground springs as water for a line of dry sake.
He sold it under the name "Akagi" due to being located at the base of the mountain Akagisan. Later the name was changed to "Akagi Masamune", and in the third generation was again changed to "Akagisan" to match Meigetsu Akagisan, due to a love of the moon.
The water from the base of Akagisan is perfect for making tanrei, dry sake. This sake is so beloved in the local area that it is called "the men's sake Akagisan Dry" when served hot and "Akagisan Namachozo-shu" when served cold.